Laura and "Fred" Harvey exploring the historic remnants of Fort Union
Fort Union National Monument
Pets are allowed on the trails and within the picnic areas, but they must be on a 6 foot leash. Pets are not permitted inside public buildings, such as the Visitor Center, offices, museum and public restrooms, with the exception of service animals on a leash. There are gates on either side of the Visitor Center with access to the trails.
Heat can be deadly for pets. Car temperatures rise quickly in the sun, even on cool days. Your pet can easily die of heat exhaustion. If you intend to leave your pet in the vehicle, please crack the windows as much as possible and leave them water to drink.
Note: We recommend you not leave your pets in the car at all when temperatures are above 68 degrees, even with the windows cracked!
When you bring your pets to the park remember to:
- Keep your pet on a leash and under control
- Clean up after your pet and dispose of waste properly
- Bring plenty of water for yourself and your pet
- Ensure your pet doesn't chase wildlife or digs holes
- NEVER leave your pet unattended, tied to an object, or in a car without ventilation or water