Fort Sumter Elevators Out Of Service
The elevators at Fort Sumter are out of service until further notice. Disabled visitors departing from Liberty Square will have access to restrooms on board the ferry boat while at Fort Sumter. For more information, please call (843) 883-3123.
World War II Exhibit Premieres
Contact: Bill Martin, (843) 883-3123 x 41
A permanent new museum exhibit on World War II will premiere at the Fort Moultrie Visitor Center on Sullivan’s Island on Sunday, June 6, 2004. Officially opening on the 60th anniversary of D-Day in 1944, the exhibit features photos and artifacts from World War II as they relate to Fort Moultrie. The National Park Service is offering a 30-minute ranger guided program about Fort Moultrie during the World War II era on June 6 at 10:30, 2:00 and 3:30. These special programs will continue on Saturdays and Sundays at 11:00 a.m. through the summer.
Fort Moultrie was an active US Army fortification until after World War II. The fort’s history from the 1930s to 1947 included Colonel George C. Marshall’s command of the 8th US Infantry and the Coast Artillery, the addition of anti-aircraft guns throughout Fort Moultrie Military Reservation, the installation of a Harbor Entrance Control Post/Harbor Defense Command Post (jointly operated by the Army and Navy), a detachment of WACs (Women’s Army Corps), and the mining of Charleston Harbor’s entrance by German U-boats twice during the war.
Fort Moultrie is a unit of Fort Sumter National Monument, administered by the National Park Service. The history of Fort Moultrie encompasses all of American seacoast defense, from the Revolutionary War through World War II. The fort is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. For additional information call (843) 883-3123
Did You Know?
The first Union shot of the Civil War was fired by Captain Abner Doubleday. He was the second senior officer at Fort Sumter, under Major Robert Anderson. Fort Sumter National Monument, SC