Fort Moultrie Visitor Center to Close For Upgrade
Contact: Bill Martin, (843) 883-3123 x 41
Beginning on Monday, June 6th, the Fort Moultrie Visitor Center will be closed to the public to allow for the installation of a dramatic exhibit lighting system.
At Fort Moultrie, the National Park Service tells the story of 171 years of American seacoast defenses. First built in 1776, the palmetto-log-and-sand fort under the command of Colonel William Moultrie successfully repelled an invasion of Charleston by the British Navy on June 28, 1776. The current fort, constructed in 1809, was used for coastal defense through World War II. It was deactivated in 1947 and became part of the National Park System in 1960. Today sections of Fort Moultrie have been restored to represent a timeline of defense systems from 1809-1947. Exhibits tell the story of the first two forts.
Administered as a unit of Fort Sumter National Monument, Fort Moultrie is located at 1214 Middle Street on Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina. The site is open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except for New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. There is normally an entrance fee of $3.00 for adults, $1.00 for seniors, or $5.00 for families.
Did You Know?
The incomplete palmetto-log fort used by Patriots during the June 28, 1776 battle of Sullivan's Island had no official name. Called Fort Sullivan by the British, the fort was later named Fort Moultrie in honor of its commander, Colonel William Moultrie. Fort Sumter National Monument, SC