Fort Moultrie Visitor Center Museum Exhibits
Fort Moultrie was well situated to guard Charleston Harbor. Because of shoals at the harbor entrance, ships were forced to enter the harbor from the south and sail toward the fort on Sullivan's Island. In this position, they could not fire on the fort until they turned into the harbor. By the mid-19th century, Fort Sumter added its firepower to keep ships out of the harbor. Since Moultrie was in continuous use by the Army for coastal defense for 171 years, it has played an important role in the nation’s history. Please use the links to the museum exhibits to learn more about Fort Moultrie during these important events.
For more information:
Did You Know?
The incomplete palmetto-log fort used by Patriots during the June 28, 1776 battle of Sullivan's Island had no official name. Called Fort Sullivan by the British, the fort was later named Fort Moultrie in honor of its commander, Colonel William Moultrie. Fort Sumter National Monument, SC