Bridge Repair Work
Beginning September 15, the main bridge into the fort will be closed for repairs. Visitors will be able to access the fort through the sally port entrance. An accessible ramp will be available upon request. Visit the Willett Center for assistance on-site.
Special Programs Mark the End of Siege at Fort Stanwix
Contact: Valerie Morgan, 315-336-4448
Tuesday, August 23 marks the 234th anniversary of the end of the British siege on Fort Stanwix in 1777. Fort Stanwix National Monument will host special programs which highlight the fort's importance in America's fight for independence and its critical role in changing world history.
10 a.m.- Children's Program: Cookies, Bubble Gum, and the Siege of Fort Schuyler
10:30 a.m.- Behind the Scenes Tour of the Willett Center Collections
1:30 p.m.- Captain Lieutenant Savage's Team: The Role of Artillery during the Siege
3 p.m.- Fort Tour: Huzzah! The Siege Ends
4:15 p.m. - The British Retreat
In addition to the scheduled programs, a self-guided Family Fun at the Fort "Siege Scavenger Hunt" will be available at the Willett Center Information Desk upon request from 9:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Fort Stanwix National Monument is open seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Admission to the park is free. Activities are ongoing unless noted. For more information about upcoming events please call the park at (315) 338-7730.Please visit the park's web page at www.nps.gov/fost for additional information about the park and up-to-date news about park events.
- NPS -
Did You Know?
Fort Stanwix has two names. Named for Gen. John Stanwix, this was the fort's name under the British. When rebuilt by the Americans, it was then named for Gen. Phillip Schuyler. However, there were several other Fort Schuylers in New York at that time, so the name never stuck due to the confusion.