Nearly 50 years ago archeologists began to locate the remains of the original Fort Stanwix (briefly renamed Fort Schuyler, 1776-1781). Remnants of the original fort were discovered and nearly 500,000 artifacts were found dating to the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century.
Archeology continues today at Fort Stanwix National Monument. When maintenance or construction activities take place, archeology is done first in order to ensure that the site is not destroyed and the resources are preserved. These projects are driven by the desire to preserve the archeological resources at the park and meet compliance standards of the federal government.
To learn more about the archeological discovery of Fort Stanwix and other cultural resources at the park, click on the links below.
Casemates and Cannonballs: Archeological Investigations at Fort Stanwix National Monument - This book reports on the excavations of the fort, an essential prerequisite to its reconstruction and interpretation.
Fort Stanwix: History, Historic Furnishing, and Historic Structures Report - The extensive study and documentation needed to reconstruct a structure of the magnitude and character of Fort Stanwix is presented in this report.
Did You Know?
The 363-mile long original Erie Canal was the longest uninterrupted canal in the world. It included 83 locks and had a rise of 583 feet from the Hudson River to Lake Erie. Boats of 30 ton capacity could be used on the original canal. More...