Quartermaster Storehouse Postcards
The Quartermaster Storehouse was built on the southwest corner of the fortification and mirrors the Commissary located on the northwest corner.
Because they are so similar, they are often misidentified. This postcard, however, is really confusing to the viewer because printed on the front is "Officers Headquarters." No known postcards exist of the "Officers Headquarters". Postcards showing a general view of the fort include images of the two Officer's Quarters.
While the date of this postcard is not known, it would be prior to March 1907. Before this date the U.S. Postal Service required all messages to be written on the front of the card, reserving the back side exclusively for the mailing address.
Faintly written in pencil is, "Merry Christmas hapy new year"
Did You Know?
A woman was responsible for the building of a modern federal jail at Fort Smith, AR, in 1888. Anna Dawes, daughter of Sen. Dawes of MA, visited the "Hell on the Border" jail in 1885 and wrote an article describing its conditions. When read in Congress, money was quickly approved for a new jail.