Beginning Monday August 25, the infantry barracks museum will be closed for remodeling and to prepare for a new theater and exhibits. Work is expected to be completed by spring of 2015. The site's movie will be played in the visitor center upon request.
Quartermaster - Overview
Imagine trying to fight a war without adequate supplies. Soldiers in tattered shoes, malnourished, and equipped with outdated or faulty equipment. The safe delivering those supplies would be of utmost importance to the efficient operation of the army.
In this building are housed the barrels and boxes that contained these important supplies. One side is set up as the quartermaster’s office and storeroom and the other side is setup as the commissary storeroom. As the name implies, the quartermaster was in charge of providing the army with quarters or buildings in which to live.The commissary or subsistence officer ran the other side of the building. He used it to store food rations and other supplies vital to the soldiers’ survival.
The program at this station could be given in one place at the quartermaster storehouse or could involve movement in the storehouse and include a visit to the quartermaster quadrangle. A wagon will be adjacent to the storehouse.
Did You Know?
After Fort Scott was abandoned by the army in 1853, the buildings were sold at public auction, and the fort became the town of Fort Scott. One of the officers' quarters eventually became the Goodlander Home for Children. For about fifty years, orphans and other needy children were cared for here.