Field Trip Program
Sweep Through History
- This program is designed for grades 5-8.
- The purpose of this program is to acquaint the students with life at Fort Scott during the primary eras during the site's history: Westward Expansion, Bleeding Kansas and the Civil War.
- Interpreters in period dress stationed at different locations will give presentations focusing on an aspect of life at Fort Scott from one of these eras.
- The program consists of an introduction to the site's history, and three stations; each station representing a different era of the site's history.
- The program is held on designated days in April and May and is offered twice each day. Programs are offered at 9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. on each of these days. Dates for 2015 are April 30, May 1, and May 15. Each time-frame can accommodate up to 150 people, including students and adults. The program is wheelchair accessible.
- For reservations call 620-223-0310. When making reservations, allow enough time to arrive 15 minutes before the program begins. Schools with a shorter drive should consider the 9:30 program, whereas schools coming from a longer distance may find that the 11:30 program will better suit their needs.
- Upon arrival, students are given a brief introduction to the history of the site. They are then split up into three groups of 50 students maximum per group. Each group rotates between the three stations.
- Each station lasts thirty minutes, with the total program length being about one hour and forty minutes.
- At each station, the students will engage in activities relating to different aspects of life at Fort Scott during the mid-nineteenth century.
- Confirmation and teacher's guides will be sent out in March. Guides will include pre- and post-visit activities.
- When making reservations, allow enough time to arrive 15 minutes before the program begins.
- When making registrations online, please include the number of students and adults combined.
- African American History and Culture, American Indian History and Culture, Civil War, Hispanic or Latino American History and Culture, History, Mexican War, Military and Wartime History, Westward Expansion
- National/State Standards:
- Kansas Social Studies Standards 1, 3, 4, 5
Missouri Social Studies Standards 3a, 6
National Social Studies Standards 1, 3, 5
- Field Trip Program
Available Field Trips