The Lost Colony
The Freedman's Colony
- England was something of a __________ to the race for the New World.
- Spain was already entrenched in what is now ___________ and __________.
- An early purpose for Raleigh's new colony was to be a base for raids against __________ shipping.
- Sailing from England in 1585, _____ ships carried _________ men. Among these men, ________ would settle on Roanoke Island.
- A _________________ brought by the settlers killed many of the Indians.
- __________ _________ was governor of the first colony.
- The colonist gave up and returned to England on ships commanded by Sir Francis _____________.
- The 1587 colony that became lost included _______ men, _______ women, and ______ children making a total of _________ settlers.
- _______ ________, the artist from the first colony, was appointed governor.
- On August 18th, 1587, _____________ ________ was born.
- After her birth, the Governor returned to England for supplies and because of the threat of the ___________ ___________ did not return till 1590.
- When Governor White returned to the colony, he discovered the word Croatoan carved on a _________ _________.
- The first African Slaves in the English Colonies were brought to ____________ almost 400 years ago.
- Slave children were often taken from their parents and _________.
- General ___________ attacked Roanoke Island Feb. 7, 1862.
- Confederate ships used the sounds and inlets of North Carolina as a water ________.
- ________ _______, an Army Chaplain, organized a colony for the Freed People.
- Hundreds of Freedmen left their families on Roanoke Island to work with the Union _________.
- Most of the teachers sent to the colony were free _______ and many were ________.
- The _________ was used as a textbook.
Only Two More Parts to Go!
Click Here to Go to the Next Section!