McQueen’s Island “Rails to Trails” Closed
Contact: Gloria Lee, (912) 786-5787 ext 104
Savannah, GA – Effective immediately, the Chatham County Parks & Recreation Department has closed the historic McQueen’s Island “Rails to Trails” due to concerns for public safety.
The McQueen’s Island Trail, located west of Fort Pulaski National Monument, was created in 1996 on the abandoned Central of Georgia Railway tracks that once connected Savannah to Tybee Island. Over the years, high tides have eroded sections of the trail. A restoration project was completed in 2009 to stabilize the shoreline and encourage the growth of marsh grass. However, the 6-mile multipurpose trail has again succumbed to erosion, leaving huge portions impassible. Currently, Chatham County is developing a plan to restore the trail. Due to the trail’s salt marsh location, the plan must be approved by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Until a plan has been finalized and approved, the western portion of the trail has been closed. The stabilization work is tentatively scheduled to begin in early 2014.
The eastern portion of the scenic trail - measuring 2.4 miles - remains open and may be accessed near the Entrance Station for Fort Pulaski National Monument. There are also six other nature trails available within Fort Pulaski National Monument.
Fort Pulaski National Monument is open daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. The park gates close at 5:15 PM. The park is located on U.S. Highway 80, 15 miles east of Savannah. An entrance fee of $5 per person is charged; ages 15 and under are free. Learn more at www.nps.gov/fopu and visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/FortPulaskiNPS and Twitter www.twitter.com/FortPulaskiNPS.
– NPS –
Did You Know?
Fort Pulaski National Monument's park headquarters are located in the historic Cockspur Island Quarantine Station. Constructed in 1891, the house has also served as living quarters for park staff. Fort Pulaski National Monument, Georgia