The French and Indian War 1754-1763: Unit 8 – Primary Documents and Artifacts
- Grade Level:
- Fourth Grade-Sixth Grade
- American Indian History and Culture, Colonial History, French and Indian War
- 1 hour
- Group Size:
- Up to 36
- National/State Standards:
- National History Standards: K-4 Topic 2: 3B, 3D, 3E; K-4 Topic 3: 5A; US Era 2: 1B
Overview“Primary Documents and Artifacts” Unit 8 of the Teacher’s Education Kit “The French and Indian War: 1754-1763” has a chart that shows where to find 10 primary documents and 4 original artifacts on the biography cards. The lesson plan has the students examine the documents or artifacts to find out about their importance and their affect on the people who used them.
“The French and Indian War 1754-1763” is broken into eight units and a Teacher Background.
Guiding Question: What can primary documents tell us about the French and Indian War? What can original artifacts tells us about the war? How did these documents and artifact affect people?
Critical Content: Primary documents and artifacts from the French and Indian War can tell us about the people who used them this lesson outlines where to find primary documents and artifacts on the biography cards, then has the students study them.
Student Objectives: Students will…
· List one primary document or artifact associated with the French and Indian War
· List one way it was used or one affect it had on a person
This unit includes one lesson plan:
· "Investigating Primary Documents & Artifacts" has students find a primary document or artifact on one of the biography cards and investigate that item
The "French and Indian War 1754-1763" Teacher's Education Kit is targeted for 4th-6th grade students. It is broken into eight units and a Teacher Background section. Each unit can be completed independently. Units 1 – 6 chronologically follow the war from start to finish, including how the war set the stage for the American Revolution. There are two lessons that feature George Washington. Each unit has one or more lesson plans. Unit 7 has 27 biography cards of people involved in the French and Indian War. There are nine American Indian biographies, nine French biographies and nine British biographies. Unit 8 provides information on primary documents and artifacts that are featured on the biography cards. Also included is a color map and information on French and Indian War historical sites in western Pennsylvania.
Check out the Teacher Background and other units:
Unit 8: Primary Documents and Artifacts
This curriculum is available to teachers free of charge in as a printed three ring binder or on CD. Please email the staff if you are interested in receiving the curriculum in one of these formats.
For additional information on each document or artifact download the article below.
This article has more information on each primary document and original artifact found on the biography cards. It will help the students gather more information about the documents and artifacts they are studying. Download
1. Download the pdf of the lesson plan (by clicking on the button next to the title)
2. To help teach this lesson use the "French and Indian War Primary Documents and Artifacts" article find in the Materials section
3. Teach and discuss with the students
Fort Necessity was the opening battle of the French and Indian War. Many documents and artifacts from the war can teach us about the war and the people involved. They help us gain a better understanding of the historical events.