The French and Indian War 1754-1763: Unit 7 – Biography Cards
Overview“Biography Cards” Unit 7 of the Teacher’s Education Kit “The French and Indian War: 1754-1763” has 27 different biography cards for the students to read. There are nine American Indian biographies, nine French and nine British. The biography cards help the students understand the individuals involved in the conflict and help make the history come alive.
“The French and Indian War 1754-1763” is broken into eight units and a Teacher Background.
Guiding Question: Who participated in the French and Indian War? What was interesting about their lives? How did the war affect them?
Critical Content: The French and Indian War affected not only colonies and nations, but individuals. Likewise, individuals affected the outcome of the war. The biography cards focus on individuals from all three cultures and feature their actions and their motives.
Student Objectives: Students will…
· List the name of a person associated with the French and Indian War
· List two interesting facts about the person
· List how the person was associated with the French and Indian War
This unit includes four lesson plans:
· "Getting to Know You" has students read about the person on their assigned biography card and give an oral summary
· "Where in the World" has students locate important places associated with the person on their biography card
· "Who am I?" is a game where students use facts about the people featured in the biography cards.
· "Bio BINGO" is a game where students us a BINGO type card to learn about people and events in the French and Indian War
The "French and Indian War 1754-1763" Teacher's Education Kit is targeted for 4th-6th grade students. It is broken into eight units and a Teacher Background section. Each unit can be completed independently. Units 1 – 6 chronologically follow the war from start to finish, including how the war set the stage for the American Revolution. There are two lessons that feature George Washington. Each unit has one or more lesson plans. Unit 7 has 27 biography cards of people involved in the French and Indian War. There are nine American Indian biographies, nine French biographies and nine British biographies. Unit 8 provides information on primary documents and artifacts that are featured on the biography cards. Also included is a color map and information on French and Indian War historical sites in western Pennsylvania.
Check out the teacher background and other units:
Unit 7: Biography Cards
This curriculum is available to teachers free of charge in as a printed three ring binder or on CD. Please email the staff if you are interested in receiving the curriculum in one of these formats.
After downloading the lesson plans (using the button next to the title) use the links below to access three files, each with a set of nine biography cards.
This document has nine American Indian biography cards of people who were important in the French and Indian War. Download
This document has nine French biography cards of people who were important in the French and Indian War. Download
This document has nine British biography cards of people who were important in the French and Indian War. Download
1. Download the pdf of the lesson plans (by clicking on the button next to the title)
2. Download the three sets of Biography Cards from the Materials section
3. Teach and discuss with the students
Fort Necessity was the opening battle of the French and Indian War. Many people were involved in the war. They affected the war and the war affected them. This lesson has the students find out about the participants and puts a human face on history.