The National Road
The National Road, today called U.S. Route 40, was the first highway built entirely with federal funds. The road was authorized by Congress in 1806 during the Jefferson Administration. Construction began in Cumberland, Maryland in 1811. The route closely paralleled the military road opened by George Washington and General Braddock in 1754-55.
By 1818 the road had been completed to the Ohio River at Wheeling, which was then in Virginia. Eventually the road was pushed through central Ohio and Indiana reaching Vandalia, Illinois in the 1830's where construction ceased due to a lack of funds. The National Road opened the Ohio River Valley and the Midwest for settlement and commerce.
Did You Know?
After the battle at Fort Necessity, hostage Captain Stobo was held by the French at Fort Duquesne. Given some freedom, he drew a map of the fort and had an Indian smuggle it to the British. The map was captured by the French and Stobo tried for treason. He was found guilty but managed to escape.