GETTING TO THE NATIONAL MALL
Visitors are strongly encouraged to take public transportation to the National Mall, the Capitol, and George Washington Memorial Parkway on July 4. Visit WMATA for public transit information.
Smithsonian Metro is the closest metro stop to the fireworks area. Due to the possibility of overcrowding at Smithsonian, travelers are encouraged to use other nearby Metro stations such as Federal Triangle, Foggy Bottom, L'Enfant Plaza, Archives/Navy Memorial, or Metro Center.
If you choose to drive, free, public parking is extremely limited during this event. Limited parking is available on Hains Point, accessible via I-395 or Maine Avenue from the east only. Vehicles will not be allowed on or around the National Mall. Numerous Road Closures will affect your ability to navigate areas of Washington, D.C. and along the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
All visitors are required to enter via an Event Entrance, where entrants will be subject to security screening. Public access to the National Mall begins at 10:00 a.m. The U.S. Capitol grounds open at 3:00 p.m. Seating space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
National Mall and Memorial Parks Event Entrances (map) :
- West entrance, or George Washington Memorial Parkway side of Arlington Memorial Bridge;
- Parkway Drive, NW, at Lincoln Memorial Circle;
- Constitution Avenue and Henry Bacon Drive, NW;
- Constitution Avenue and 17th Street, NW;
- Constitution Avenue and 15th Streets, NW;
- West side of 14th Street, at Madison Drive NW;
- West side of 14th Street, at Jefferson Drive, SW;
- Maine Avenue and Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW (i.e. formerly 15th Street);
- East Basin Drive, SW, at Inlet Bridge.
- East Basin Drive, SW, just south of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial (Access to Jefferson Memorial ONLY)
George Washington Memorial Parkway Event Entrances:
• U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial and Netherlands Carillon (no access to National Mall);
• Memorial Circle (access to National Mall via Arlington Memorial Bridge limited to pedestrians only);
• Columbia Island/Lyndon Baines Johnson Memorial Grove (no access to Potomac Riverfront or National Mall);
• Gravelly Point, north of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (no access to National Mall);
• Washington Sailing Marina at Daingerfield Island (no access to National Mall).