May 26, 1936 President F.D. Roosevelt signed Fort Frederica's Enabling Legislation. However Fort Frederica wasn't established as a National Monument until September 10, 1945. Below is Fort Frederica's 1936 Enabling Legislation:
[Public-No. 617-74th Congress]
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That when title to the site of Fort Frederica on Saint Simon Island, Georgia, and such other related sites located thereon, as may be designated by the Secretary of the Interior, in the exercise of his discretion, as necessary or desirable for national monument purposes, shall have been vested in the United States, said area not to exceed eighty acres shall be, and is hereby, set apart as a national monument for the benefit and inspiration of the people, and shall be called “Fort Frederica National Monument”.
Sec. 3.(a) The Secretary of the Interior is authorized, in his discretion, to maintain in some suitable structure within the national monument a museum for relics and records pertaining to Fort Frederica, and for other articles of national and patriotic interest, and in his discretion to accept, on behalf of the United States, for installation in such museum, articles which may be offered as additions to the museum.
(b) Any State or political subdivision thereof, organization, or individual may, with the approval of the Secretary of the Interior, erect monuments or place tablets commemorating historic event or persons connected with the history of the area, within the boundaries of the Fort Frederica National Monument.
Sec. 4. The administration, protection, and development of the aforesaid national monument shall be exercised under the direction of the Secretary of the Interior by the National Park Service, subject to the provisions of the Act of August 25, 1916, entitled “An Act to establish a National Park Service, and for other purposes”, as amended.
Approved, May 26, 1936.
Did You Know?
The first lighthouse built on St. Simons Island in 1810, was constructed from material scavenged from Fort Frederica. Fort Frederica National Monument, Georgia