Fort Donelson Maintenance Blog
January 19, 2010
Fort Donelson’s Maintenance staff has had a very busy winter. Repairs were made to the National Cemetery stone wall after it was damaged from a fallen tree. In efforts to make Fort Donelson more accessible, new permeable paver walkways were installed at the Union Camp and Smith’s Attack wayside exhibits. The old picnic area comfort station was demolished and removed. Since winter time is the best time of the year to work on trees, (no ticks, poison ivy, heat, ect) we have been making efforts to remove identified hazardous trees throughout the park. Currently we are working on cleaning and painting two field cannons. We are also remodeling the interior of the Visitor Center, Ranger Offices and bookstore which will now have a suttlers tent as a new addition to the lobby. Soon as the ground conditions are right, the repairs to the retaining wall at the lower river batteries will be completed.
We have several exciting projects quickly coming up this spring and summer, which will include the repainting of the flagstaff in the National Cemetery, rehabilitation of the cemetery comfort station and carriage house, installing a new gate for the National Cemetery, installation of new entrance doors for the visitor center, rehabilitating newly acquired lands at Fort Hieman, new sign bases and stone columns to construct, removing hazardous trees, managing earthwork fortifications, split rail fence installation, more accessible walkways, and the resealing and striping the roads and parking lots throughout the Main Park unit, just to name a few.
Did You Know?
There was a significant enslaved population in Stewart County, TN, before and during the 1862 battle. After the Union victories at Forts Heiman, Henry and Donelson, many freedom seeking slaves sought refuge at these forts, even establishing a community near today's Fort Donelson National Cemetery.