Field Trip Checklist for Teachers
AHEAD OF TIME:
1. Call us at 432-426-3224 ext. 220 and schedule your visit. State date and time of arrival, the Activity-Based Educational Program you wish, and total number of students and sponsors (minimum one sponsor per 10 students).
3. Down Load Pre and Post Visit Activities and Worksheets (For more grade specific activities click "Curriculum Materials" on menu bar.)
1. Divide class into small groups at the Fort.
2. Bring hats & sunscreen for warm weather, winter clothes for cold weather.
3. Wear good walking shoes.
4. Water is essential in the desert
WHEN YOU ARRIVE:
1. Arrive 15-20 minutes ahead of time to allow for restroom stop and getting organized.
2. Park bus in parking lot, turn off motor, unload students.
3. Head teacher reports to ranger at Visitor Center immediately.
5. Assemble students in their groups at benches in front of Visitor Center.
Did You Know?
Apache leader Victorio led a group of Mescaleros, Warm Springs, and Chiricahuas from an Apache Reservation in New Mexico in 1879. Pursued by soldiers from Fort Davis and other west Texas forts he fled into Mexico where he and many of his followers were killed by Mexican troops in October of 1880.