Our park museum will be closed April 15, 2013 till 2014. This will also affect our park orientation film screening; it will be limited to 8-10 visitors at a time. The rest of the park is open for visitation. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Field Trip Checklist for Teachers
AHEAD OF TIME:
1. Call us at 432-426-3224 ext. 220 and schedule your visit. State date and time of arrival, the Activity-Based Educational Program you wish, and total number of students and sponsors (minimum one sponsor per 10 students).
3. Down Load Pre and Post Visit Activities and Worksheets (For more grade specific activities click "Curriculum Materials" on menu bar.)
1. Divide class into small groups at the Fort.
2. Bring hats & sunscreen for warm weather, winter clothes for cold weather.
3. Wear good walking shoes.
4. Water is essential in the desert
WHEN YOU ARRIVE:
1. Arrive 15-20 minutes ahead of time to allow for restroom stop and getting organized.
2. Park bus in parking lot, turn off motor, unload students.
3. Head teacher reports to ranger at Visitor Center immediately.
5. Assemble students in their groups at benches in front of Visitor Center.
Did You Know?
Medical treatment at Fort Davis represented state-of-the-art medicine of the 19th century. The soldiers at Fort Davis and other frontier posts probably received medical treatment as good or better than what the average American received at the time.