The Visitor Center contact station is functioning out of the park auditorium. This is because the official Visitor Center is closed while it undergoes major rehabilitation. Completion date; summer 2014. Everything else is open, as usual, at the park.
Field Trip Info
AHEAD OF TIME:
1. Call us at 432-426-3224 ext. 220 and schedule your visit. State date and time of arrival, the Activity-Based Educational Program(On-Site Program) you wish, and total number of students and sponsors (minimum one sponsor per 10 students).
3. Download Pre and Post Visit Activities and Worksheets (For more grade specific activities click "Curriculum Materials" on menu bar.)
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE:
1. Divide class into small groups at the Fort.
2. Bring hats & sunscreen for warm weather, winter clothes for cold weather.
3. Wear good walking shoes.
4. Water is essential in the desert
WHEN YOU ARRIVE:
1. Arrive 15-20 minutes ahead of time to allow for restroom stop and getting organized.
2. Park bus in parking lot, turn off motor, unload students.
3. Head teacher reports to ranger at Visitor Center.
5. Assemble students in their groups at benches in front of Visitor Center.
Did You Know?
William R. (Pecos Bill) Shafter commanded Fort Davis in 1871-72 and again 1881-82. Shafter was commanding general of all the U.S. troops in Cuba during the Spanish American War.