1. Students will be grouped and create a concept map (one subject per group) to be used to complete a Cloze activity.
2. Students will take clipboards, pencils, and scavenger hunt sheets with them and complete at the plantation.
3. Students will make their own tri-fold brochure for Kingsley Plantation.
1. Teacher reads: If You Lived When There was Slavery in America by Anne Kamma.
2. Teacher hooks the students by explaining that there is an actual plantation within a day's trip from our school.
3. Teacher builds background knowledge by introducing information about Kingsley Plantation through brochures and website.
4. Have student fill out a KWL Chart.
1. Students will be grouped and create a concept map (one subject per group.)
2. Teacher will give each group one of the brochures for Kingsley Plantation.
a. Freedom and Slavery in Plantation-Era Florida
b. Grounds Tour
c. Grounds Tour for Kids
d. Preservation Work at Kingsley Plantation
3. Groups will present charts to the class
Students will complete a Cloze activity using the information obtained from presentations.
Teacher will call 904.251.3537 to schedule a field trip at Kingsley Plantation.
Students will take clipboards, pencils, and scavenger hunt sheets and complete them during a visit to Kingsley Plantation.
Students will make their own tri-fold brochure for Kingsley Plantation.
Purpose: to inform and educate, to encourage people to visit, to become familiar with Kingsley Plantation and be able to conduct a tour for their own families.
1. fold a piece of letter size (8 ½ x 11) paper into thirds vertically
2. choose which information he/she will include in his/her tri-fold brochure
3. follow this guide (there are six columns/panels to fill)
1. Cover panel: Destination and illustration (the cover flap is the first flap that unfolds to the left.)
6. Back Panel: Name of author of brochure and biographical information.
Brochures needed for this lesson are available here.