Browse Our Traveling Trunks
Showing results 1-2 of 2
Fossil Butte National Monument
This kit and curriculum is intended to aid teachers presenting the concepts of past life and fossils to second and third grade students. The guide is organized into four units: Unit 1, fossilization and human influences (second grade); Unit 2, adaptation, (third grade), Unit 3, community, (third grade) and Unit 4 human influences (third grade). It accompanies a traveling trunk that contains everything a teacher needs to teach about fossils.
- Grade level:
- Second Grade - Third Grade
- Art, Biology: Animals, Community, Paleontology, Physical Education, Social Studies, Writing
- National/State Standards:
- Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Idaho Standards; National Science Education Standards
Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument
The Traveling Trunk is available for grade levels 4-6 or 7-12. It includes casts of horse skulls representing a portion of the evolution of horses, geologic samples from the Monument, books, DVDs, and a curriculum guide. The trunk provides a variety of information about Idaho, the Oregon Trail, as well as paleontology and geology.
- Grade level:
- Fourth Grade - Twelfth Grade
- Earth Science, Education, Paleontology
Did You Know?
Railroad workers played a major role in the discovery of fossils from the Green River Formation. In the late 1860's, Union Pacific workers uncovered the first major fossil fish beds (Lake Gosiute) near the town of Green River, Wyoming.