Visitor Center Summer Hours in Effect Beginning May 1, 2014
The visitor center will be open on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 am to 4 pm from May 1 – October 12, 2014. The ruins areas, hiking trails, and administrative access road are all open for the summer during park hours, sunrise to sunset. More »
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is the visitor center?
2. Do I have to walk the trail to see the fort?
3. What will I see along the walk?
4. Why was this location chosen for the fort?
5. When did the Chiricahua Apaches surrender?
6. What happened to the Chiricahua Apaches?
7. Where are the Chiricahua Apaches today?
8. When did Fort Bowie close?
Did You Know?
Chief Cochise visited Fort Bowie, now a National Historic Site, socially on several occasions after he made peace with General Howard. He would meet here, at the Post Trader building, to talk, trade and drink beer with the soldiers.