Bagpipers perform during a Special Use Event at the Flight 93 National Memorial

Bagpipers perform during a Special Use Event


Special Uses and Events

Special events may be permitted by the Superintendent when there is a meaningful association between the park and the event, and the event will contribute to visitor understanding of the park's significance. Individual requests for a special park use permit will be reviewed and evaluated by the Superintendent.

If you are planning a special event or ceremony at Flight 93 National Memorial, you will need to submit an application.

Special Use Permit Application - Regular Form (PDF-593 KB)
Special Use Permit Application - Short Form (PDF-466 KB)

You can also e-mail, or call the Special Park Use coordinator at 814-893-6322 with any questions.

A special park use is a short-term activity that:

  • provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  • requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  • is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  • is not initiated, sponsored or conducted by the National Park Service;and
  • is not managed under a National Park Service concession contract, a recreation activity for which the National Park Service charges a fee or a lease.

Commercial Filming and/or Photography
Commercial filming or photography requires a filming permit. Commercial filming is defined as digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience, such as for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement, or similar project. It does not include news coverage or visitor use. Permits are not required for visitors using cameras and/or recording devices for personal use, and they are not required for film or video news crews at breaking news events.

Sharing the Park- A filming or photography permit does not give exclusive rights to the permittee or allow the permittee to restrict visitors from any location. Normal visitor use patterns will not be interrupted for longer than five minutes, and only as specified in the approved permit. Filming or photography permit activities may not occur simultaneously with other permitted activities unless authorized by the NPS, or unduly conflict with scheduled park activities such as interpretive presentations. Visitors will be allowed to observe filming activities.

Commercial Filming/Photography permits are provided on an individual basis and there is a $50.00 non-refundable application processing fee per permit.

There are two photography and filming applications:
Smaller productions: Filming Permit Application 10-932 - Short Form (PDF-36 KB)
More detailed productions: Filming Permit Application 10-932 - Long Form (PDF-40 KB)

The completed form should be mailed to the Special Park Uses Coordinator at the address shown on the application form.

For questions about commercial filming/photography permits, call the Special Park Uses Coordinator at 814-893-6322.


Did You Know?