Things to do on a visit to Florissant Fossil Beds:
- Go to the visitor center and look at the displays of insect and leaf fossils. This is the best place to see these types of fossils.
- Go on the one-mile Petrified Forest Loop or 1/2 mile Ponderosa Loop. Both trails have interpretive signage.
- Explore the outdoor exhibit area where you can see massive petrified redwood trees and exhibits on geology and paleontology.
- Visit the Hornbek Homestead and learn from the exhibits and self-guided booklet.
- Go on one of our hiking trails and learn about the modern ecosystem.
- There is also a nearby, privately owned fossil collecting site. For a fee, your class can collect the same kinds of plant and insect fossils that are found in the Florissant Fossil Beds. Call the Monument for details.
- Have the students complete the Junior Ranger Program.