Fairchild: The first owned and operated NPS Airplane

In November of 1928 a FC-2W2 Serial number 531 was built and completed at Fairchild, Farmingdale, NY. The aircraft delivered to the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) at Langley AAF, Hampton, VA. where it was marked as "NACA-26". All earlier NACA aircraft had been military airplanes bailed from the Army and Navy.

The first owned and operated NPS Airplane

The first owned and operated NPS Airplane

History of Fairchild FC-2W2, N1393

November 10, 1936

Transferred to the National Park Service (without engine) at Manteo, NC.

February/March 1937

Airplane re-engined and overhauled at Elizabeth City, NC.

March 5, 1937

Airplane is registered NC13934.

Airplane operated from Camp Worth on Hatteras Island, NC. Used for passenger, medical evacuation, mail, payroll, and supply flights to Hatteras and Ocracoke islands. NPS logs 700 hours of flight time on airplane.

Early 1942

Airplane transferred to Bureau of Indian Affairs, Navajo Agency at Window Rock, AZ.

1945

Airplane declared surplus by Department of the Interior.

May 3, 1946

Airplane sold to Cyrus F. Weeks of Kingman, AZ for $300.

April 1947

Airplane re-built and recovered.

August 1948

Airplane modified for cloud seeding.

Registration changed to NX13934.

March 1950

Airplane overhauled and registration reverts to N13934.

Airplane sold to Wyllie and Slater of Twin Falls, ID.

August 1950

Airplane sold to W.M. Wood of Boise, ID.

July 1951

Airplane is involved in accident and removed from register.

January 1953

Airplane sold to Gene Frank of Caldwell, ID and reinstated on FAA register.

Airplane is modified for skydiving and fuselage metalized.

1955

Airplane modified for aerial spraying.

1958

Airplane sold to new owner in Challis, ID.

1970

Gene Frank purchases airplane for second time.

1996

Airplane sold to Greg Herrick, Yellowstone Aviation, Jackson, WY.

1996–2001

Airplane is restored to original condition including tube and fabric fuselage.

Airplane is painted in the NPS markings it wore from 1937 to 1942.

2001 and later

Airplane is now kept at Greg Herrick’s Golden Wings collection in Blaine, MN.

Greg, a former NPS seasonal at Yellowstone NP, has loaned the airplane several times to the NPS for display at AirVenture, Oshkosh, the world’s largest aviation gathering