Many individual Parks will list open positions on their webpages, however USA JOBs is the ultimate clearinghouse for NPS and all government jobs.
Student temporary employment programs as well as other opportunities can be found at USA Student Jobs.
Volunteer / Student Program Opportunities:
- Student Conservation Association (SCA)
- Student Career Employment Program (SCEP)
- Student Educational Employment Program (STEP)
- Volunteer in Parks (VIP)
- Other Student Opportunities
These jobs are open to all United States citizens and are located throughout the United States. Though these jobs are in job series that include fire-related jobs, please note that not all jobs listed may have fire-related duties.
Some of these jobs may be seasonal in nature (not to exceed 1039 hours during a season) and some may be permanent full-time or permanent subject to furlough or term.
The majority of these jobs are open to:
- Permanent Federal employees in a competitive position, excepted service position covered by an interchange agreement or eligible for reinstatement.
- Veterans eligible for veterans' preference or separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous military service.
- Persons with non-competitive appointment eligibility.
In some cases the jobs listed may be open only to National Park Service employees. The job listings in this search include those also open to all United States citizens. They are located throughout the United States. Though these jobs are in job series that include fire-related jobs, please note that not all jobs listed may have fire-related duties.
Some of these jobs may be permanent full-time while others may be permanent subject to furlough (career seasonal) or term.
Veterans' preference recognizes the economic loss suffered by citizens who have served their country in uniform in times of strife, restores veterans to a favorable competitive position for Government employment, and acknowledges the larger obligation owed to disabled veterans.
Historically, Congress has reserved preference for those who were either disabled, who served in combat areas or during certain periods of time.
Veterans who qualify as preference eligibles (meaning they typically must have served on active duty for at least 2 years during a period of war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized, or be disabled) are entitled to an additional 5 or 10 points added onto their earned rating in a competitive civil service examination. In all other situations (for example, selection from a merit promotion list or other "internal" action such as reassignment, transfer, or reinstatement), veterans' preference is not a factor.
Veterans' preference was intended to give eligible veterans an extra assist in getting a job with the Government and in keeping it in the event of a reduction in force. Veterans' preference does not guarantee the veteran a job. Veterans' preference should not be confused with the special appointing authorities such as the VRA which allow eligible veterans to be appointed noncompetitively to the competitive service.
The Merit Promotion Program allows those who are status applicants (current federal employees or those who have reinstatement eligibility) to apply for job openings within the Federal government.
Delegated Examining Authority by a Delegated Examining Unit
Delegated examining authority is an authority OPM grants to agencies to fill competitive civil service jobs with:
- Applicants applying from outside the Federal workforce,
- Federal employees who do not have competitive service status, or
- Federal employees with competitive service status.
Appointments made by agencies through delegated examining authority are subject to civil service laws and regulations. This is to ensure fair and open competition, recruitment from all segments of society, and selection on the basis of the applicants' competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities (see 5 U.S.C. § 2301).
Index to Specific Aviation Related Job Series:
- 0025 Ranger-Pilot (law enforcement)
- 0486 Biologist-Pilot
- 2101 Aviation Safety & Training Manager (Airway Transportation Systems Specialist)
- 2151 Aircraft Dispatch Series
- 2101 Transportation Specialist (Aviation Manager)
- 1815 Air Safety Investigator
- 2181 Pilot Series
- 0462 Helicopter Crewmember (Helitack)
- 1801 Aviation Safety Compliance