Jay Thomson Collection
The Empire Builder has five onboard programs.
• One program operates from Seattle, Washington to Shelby, Montana and is operated by staff and volunteers of Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park.
• A program from Havre, Montana to Minot, North Dakota is based out of Nez Perce National Historical Park and Bear Paw National Battlefield.
• A program from Williston, North Dakota to Shelby, Montana (extending to Malta, Montana on certain dates) is hosted by the Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site.
• Another program operates from Minot, North Dakota to Shelby, Montana (extending to Malta, Montana on certain dates) and is based out of Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site.
• The eastern-most Empire Builder program operates from Minneapolis, Minnesota to Columbus, Wisconsin and is hosted by the Mississippi River National Recreation Area.