Members of a local living history group known as Porter's Battery will offer some discussions on the historic ground where the real Porter's Battery served 151 years ago.
Porter's Battery was organized in Nashville on July 18, 1861. From October 1861 to the beginning of the Fort Henry/ Fort Donelson campaign, Porter's Battery was assigned to Confederate General Simon BUckner's division. They were armed with four six pounder brass guns, and two 12 pounder brass howitzers, and had, most records suggest, 113 men.
The battery arrived in Dover on February 12th. On February 13th, Porter's assisted Graves' Confederate Battery in silencing McAllister's Illinois Battery. Porter's was relatively inactive during the events of the 14th of February.
The battery saw extensive action on February 15th, assisting with the Confederate breakout and, in the afternoon, trying to resist Charles F. Smith's attack on the Confederate right. Captain Porter was seriously wounded.
Seven men from Porter's Battery were killed, and four were wounded. About 90 of the men were surrendered, and about twelve escaped. The battery ceased to exist after Donelson.