We are looking for striking digital images to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Wilderness Act. Photos must include designated wilderness of Wrangell-St. Elias National park & Preserve. Please do not include photographs of other wilderness areas, other public lands, or areas of Wrangell-St. Elias that are not designated wilderness. See the map above - the shaded green is designated wilderness within Wrangell-St. Elias. Please note that most lands along the Nabesna Road and McCarthy Road are NOT designated as wilderness.
We are especially interested in images that showcase the five qualities that embody the wilderness character of Wrangell-St. Elias including:
- Untrammeled Quality: Wilderness that is essentially unhindered and free from modern human actions that control or manipulate ecological systems.
- Natural Quality: Wilderness that maintains ecological systems that are substantially free from the effects of modern civilization.
- Undeveloped Quality: Wilderness that retains its primeval character and influence, and is essentially without permanent improvements or modern human occupation.
- Solitude Quality: Wilderness that provides outstanding opportunities for a primitive and unconfined type of recreation.
- Inhabited Quality: Wilderness that includes people on the land, a "working wilderness" where humans and cultures continue to live in and make a living from the landscape.
For more information please visit www.nps.gov/wrst