Beach Dynamics on Fire Island
The Beach Dynamics activities are designed to enhance understanding of the way barrier beaches change through time and can be used during field trips to Fire Island National Seashore.
- An understanding of sand composition and distribution is fundamental to understanding the overarching barrier island dynamics. The Sorting Sand program consists of two activities examining sand properties to be conducted simultaneously on the beach.
- The Wind, Waves, and Wide Open Sea activity measures wind and wave conditions, forces that shape the beach. These parameters allow us to monitor and predict shoreline change, and to understand the dynamic nature of barrier islands.
- While the beach may not be the same from one day to the next, there are patterns of change to be discovered. Take a closer look at how barrier island features change through time in the Shape-shifting Shoreline activity.
- Find out more about beach features and sandy shores in this Field Guide, a companion to the beach dynamics activities.
- Answers to questions about sand crystals can be found in this Quick Reference Guide.
- Explore Barrier Island Dynamics at Fire Island National Seashore.
- Learn more about Post-Hurricane Sandy Breaches on Fire Island.
- Earth Science, Mathematics
- National/State Standards:
- Reading Standards for Literacy in Science and Technical; Next Generation Science Standards
- shoreline dynamics, coastal processes