Beach Dynamics on Fire Island
The Beach Dynamics activities are designed to enhance understanding of barrier beach change through time, and can be used during field trips to Fire Island National Seashore. Learn more about each activity below:
- An understanding of sand composition and distribution is fundamental to understanding the overarching barrier island dynamics. The Sorting Sand program consists of two activities examining sand properties to be conducted simultaneously on the beach.
- The Wind, Waves, and Wide Open Sea activity measures wind and wave conditions, forces that shape the beach. These parameters allow us to monitor and predict shoreline change, and to understand the dynamic nature of barrier islands.
- Explore Barrier Island Dynamics at Fire Island National Seashore.
- Learn more about Post-Hurricane Sandy Breaches on Fire Island.
- Grade Levels:
- Ninth Grade-Twelfth Grade
- Earth Science, Mathematics
- National/State Standards:
- Reading Standards for Literacy in Science and Technical Subjects 6-12; Writing Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science and Technical Subjects 6-12; Next Generation Science Standards
- shoreline dynamics, coastal processes