Plan Your Visit
Fallen Timbers Monument
COURTESY METROPARKS OF THE TOLEDO AREA
The Three Sites:
Fallen Timbers Battlefield
The site formerly thought to be the location of the battlefield, 0.25 mile south of the actual site and on the floodplain along the Maumee River, was included in the 1959 National Survey of Historic Sites and Buildings as one of 22 sites representing the national historic theme "The Advance of the Frontier, 1763-1830." It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960, signifying "the culminating event which demonstrated the tenacity of the American people in their efforts of western expansion through the struggle for dominance in the Old Northwest Territory." The National Historic Landmark designation is being corrected to identify the actual battle site. The battlefield is not yet open to the public.
Fallen Timbers Monument
Monuments to the battle include the following:
• A 10-foot bronze statue of General Wayne, with an Indian guide to the right and a settler to the left, which is mounted on a 15-foot granite pedestal - As a National Historic Landmark, the monument has been found to possess exceptional value in commemorat-ing and illustrating the history of the United States.
• Two stone markers in front of the monument - One recognizes U.S. troops killed and wounded in the battle, and the other memorializes the Indian casualties.
• Turkeyfoot Rock - The rock is linked by Indian histories to the battle and was moved to the monument site in 1953 from its original location along the Maumee River. Based on conversations with representatives of the American Indian Intertribal Association, some individuals and groups continue to use Turkeyfoot Rock as the site of offerings and ceremonies.
The state monument is a fairly level site some 50 feet above the Maumee River floodplain. Visitors have an unobstructed view to the Maumee River, and this important natural corridor has not changed significantly since the time of the battle, showing visitors the ultimate prize of the battle - control of transportation and access along the Maumee River.
Fort Miamis is in a Maumee residential area approximately 5 miles east of the battlefield and memorial. The south side of the fort falls off steeply to the Maumee River. The fort was previously owned and managed by the City of Maumee, but on November 7, 2005, the City Council voted to return ownership to Metroparks of the Toledo Area.
Did You Know?
On August 20, 1794, in the Battle of Fallen Timbers, Indian warriors closely pursued the soldiers of the front guard of the Legion of the United States until a light infantry skirmish line forced the Indians to seek shelter amid timbers that had been felled a few years before by a tornado.