- Park science staff reviews impacts to park resources, contribution of study to knowledge of park resource management issues, demonstrated need to conduct study within the park, duplication of efforts, and consistency with resource management and restoration plans, etc.
- Protection staff reviews impact to park visitors, impact to park natural, historic, and cultural resources, and impact to visitor protection activities, safety, etc.
- Environmental staff reviews compliance with the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA) and compliance with Section 106 of the National Historical Preservation Act.
- Park Wilderness Committee reviews compliance with the Wilderness Act.
- Curatorial staff reviews compliance with National Park Service Director’s Order #24.
- Upon completion of the review process, a recommendation is made to the South Florida Natural Resources Center Research Director for approval of the proposed study, approval with conditions and/or restrictions, or denial of the proposed study.