Paso de Jacinto
El Paso de Jacinto/Paso de los Indios, Webb County, Texas
Around 1746, explorer Jacinto de León discovered a ford that allowed safe passage across the Río Grande in this vicinity; it had probably been used for centuries by American Indians. The ford came to be known at Paso de Jacinto. By the turn of the 19th century, the crossing was marked on maps as Paso de los Indios. A century later, the Old Indian Crossing (the English name) was a well-known landmark near the northern edge of Fort McIntosh. The significance of the ford to the history of Laredo is underscored by the presence of a nearby ranch known as Rancho Paso de los Indios. Historic features like these offer a reminder of the need for routes across the river.
Time period: 1740s
Did You Know?
Journals kept by early travelers on El Camino Real de los Tejas, a national historic trail, contain a wealth of information about the indigenous people they encountered, as well as the landscape, topography, plants, and animals. The Spaniards assigned place names to rivers, crossings, and campsites.