• Mission San Jose

    El Camino Real de los Tejas

    National Historic Trail TX,LA

Comal Springs

Comal Spring
Christopher Talbot
 

Comal Springs, Hays County, Texas

Spanish explorers discovered Comal Springs in 1691. American Indian tribes inhabiting the area referred to it as Conaqueyadesta, translated as “where the river has its source.” In an excerpt from his diary, Father Isidro Félix Espinosa, who accompanied Domingo Ramon’s expedition in 1716 described it this way: “Groves of inexpressible beauty are found in this vicinty. The waters of the Guadalupe are clear, crystal and so adundant that it seemed almost incredible to us that its source arose so near. It makes a delightful grove for recreation.”
Comal is the Spanish word for basin, which somewhat describes the local geography. In 1764 French explorer Louis Juchereau de St. Denis visited the springs. They eventually became a paraje (resting place) on El Camino Real de los Tejas.

Time period: 1691-1800s
Owvership: Public (City of New Braunfels)

A Photographic Journey of the Trail - NEXT IMAGE

PREVIOUS IMAGE

Did You Know?

Daughters of the American Revolution granite marker sits on El Camino Real de los Tejas

The identification of El Camino Real de los Tejas's route, now a national historic trail, was based largely on travel diaries, chronicles, and records of Spanish explorers.