Camel Corps Commemoration!
Join us on Saturday, Sept. 20 and Sunday, Sept 21, 2014 as we commemorate the Beale Expedition of 1857 and the "camel corps"! There will be fun for the whole family and yes, live camels! More »
2014 Compendium now available
The 2014 compendium is now available via the link below. It includes new prohibitions on the operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) in national park units. More »
The El Morro Visitor Center
The advent of the public works programs of the Depression Era changed all that. A new custodian's residence and visitor contact station (pictured below) were completed in 1939 utilizing Public Works Administration (PWA) funds—one of the New Deal programs initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
The 1939 sandstone residence now serves as the administrative offices for El Morro. Today it is, as well as the Mission 66 visitor center, as much a part of El Morro's history as the inscriptions themselves.
Did You Know?
The Headland Trail at El Morro National Monument was hand-carved into the sandstone by a Civil Works Administration (CWA) crew in 1933. CWA was one of the New Deal programs initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression.