Ellis Island is open on a limited basis while repairs continue.
Ellis Island has reopened on a limited basis. Due to the nature of the destruction caused by Hurricane Sandy parts of the historic Main Building and museum, including most of the exhibits and both elevators, remain closed at this time. More »
Join Our Friends
The National Park Service works in cooperation with official partners at the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island Immigration Museum. These organizations work in tandem to help the National Park Service in its mission.
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Foundation
The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Foundation Inc. (SOLIEF), founded in 1982, has been an instrumental partner in the restoration of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Since 2001, the Foundation has administered the American Family Immigration History Center™ (AFIHC) at Ellis Island, making it possible to research manifest records for the Port of New York, through Ellis Island, from 1892 - 1924. Here is more information about the Foundation's efforts, projects, and the Center.
SOLIEF also administers the American Immigrant Wall of Honor, located behind Ellis Island's Main Building. People can honor their family by having a name inscribed on the Wall with a donation to SOLIEF at www.wallofhonor.org.
Save Ellis Island
This organizations's mission is to raise the funds necessary to rehabilitate, restore, and put to beneficial reuse, the currently unused buildings of Ellis Island, located primarily on its south side. Here is more information about the fundraising efforts and upcoming projects of Save Ellis Island.
Did You Know?
Ellis Island was added as part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument in 1965 by Presidential Proclamation. The main building was re-opened in September 1990 as the national museum of immigration after what was considered at the time, the largest restoration project in American history.