• Immigrants awaiting inspection in front of Ellis Island's Main Building

    Ellis Island

    Part of Statue of Liberty National Monument NJ,NY


Do I need a permit?

Most visitors do not need a permit. Permits are needed for activities beyond a typical visit to the park by a family or individual. At this park, they fall into two categories: film permits and special use permits.

Assemblies for private groups, whether they are businesses or not-for-profit organizations, require a Special use Permit.

Assemblies for private groups, whether they are businesses or not-for-profit organizations, require a Special Use Permit.


Film Permits and Special Use Permits

Film permits are required for filming or taking photographs at the park for a movie, documentary, TV show or other commercial use. (Photos or videos taken by visitors for their own personal use do not require a permit. Neither do breaking news stories.)

Special use permits are required for organizing and performing activities or assemblies which provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. Special use permits are also needed for activities that require National Park Service staff to protect park resources, the public interest, or both. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • ceremonies
  • performances
  • festivals
  • cultural programs
  • non-competitive sporting events

Filing a permit application alone does not grant you the right to your activity. Permit applications may be approved or rejected by the park. The $50 fee is nonrefundable, whether your application is approved or denied. (See below.)

Submit permit applications at least five (5) business days in advance
The park requires permit applications to be submitted at least five (5) business days before the proposed event. The five day period begins when the park receives the completed permit application.

Permit Consult
Before applying for a permit, you may contact us and describe the proposed activity to find out if this is something the park might consider. Please include:

  • the nature of the proposed filming or activity
  • the date and time of the proposed activity
  • the equipment you would use
  • the number of people involved
  • anything else you feel is important

Permit Application Fee
Once a permit application is submitted, you will be charged a nonrefundable $50 application fee. This fee will not be returned even if your application is rejected. The $50 application fee may be waived for those submitting requests for school band, choir or dance performances and for certain ceremonies, such as reenlistments.

First Amendment Activities
Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. Therefore, all First Amendment activities require special use permits. The National Park Service may regulate the time, place, and manner in which they are conducted.

Applications and Addresses
Please read the application carefully before filling it out. Special Use Permit applications and Filming Permit applications may be emailed or sent via regular mail to:

Statue of Liberty National Monument
Attn: Permits
Liberty Island
New York, NY 10004

Did You Know?