Main St. will be closed Sunday, March 16th from 11:00am till 2:30pm approximately, for the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade. Please use detours and park along side roads (Lakeside Ave) to visit during that time.
Thomas Edison National Historical Park was established “to commemorate the outstanding achievements of the great American inventor, Thomas Alva Edison” (Presidential Proclamation 3148). The site was conveyed to the National Park Service through a series of legal agreements between the government and Thomas A. Edison, Inc. (later McGraw Edison Company) between 1955 and 1962. It is located within the township of West Orange in New Jersey. Containing 21.25 acres, the park preserves Thomas Alva Edison’s laboratory, his estate Glenmont, and collections in perpetuity and makes this valuable part of America’s heritage available to over 60,000 visitors each year for their enjoyment, understanding, and appreciation.
Mission of the National Park Service at Thomas Edison National Historical Park
The mission of the National Park Service at Thomas Edison National Historical Park grows from the Site’s legislated mandate found in part in Secretarial Order F.R. 9347, December 6, 1955 establishing the Edison Home National Historic Site; Presidential Proclamation 3148, July 14, 1956 establishing the Edison Laboratory National Monument and Public Law 87-628, September 5, 1962 re-designating both as the Edison National Historic Site; and the Omnibus Public Land Act of 2009-Public Law 111-11: reassigning the name "Thomas Edison National Historical Park".
Our mission is to promote an international understanding and appreciation of the life and extraordinary achievements of Thomas Alva Edison by preserving, protecting, and interpreting the park's extensive historic artifact and archive collections at the Laboratory Complex and Glenmont, the Edison family estate.
Did You Know?
Thomas Edison National Historical Park has one of the most traveled buildings in the Park Service. Building #11 was shipped to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI in 1940 at the request of Henry Ford. No longer needed, it was shipped back to the park in 2003. - In all, it traveled 1200 miles.