Below you will find an overview of collections mainly at the Laboratory complex. For a review of the Glenmont Estate collections, please click here.
A review of the Cultural Landscapes is also available here.
The History Collection consists of:
I. Laboratory furnishings and equipment – including technical and scientific equipment, shop machinery, office and library furnishings, stock, raw materials and chemicals, used at the West Orange laboratory by Edison, his colleagues and workers, 1887-1931. Also, similar material associated with: pre-West Orange Edison laboratory facilities; Thomas A. Edison Inc. and McGraw-Edison site operations from 1931-1972; and Edison company manufacturing operations in West Orange and elsewhere.
II. Manufactured goods, and materials associated with the research and development of manufactured goods, produced by Edison, his colleagues and enterprises:
III. Manufactured goods made by competing manufacturers and contemporary inventors that relate to goods produced by Edison, his colleagues and enterprises.
IV. Edisonia objects that reflect Edison's role as a cultural icon, including commemorative plaques, busts, and related commercial art; commemorative reproduction inventions and products; non-Edison consumer goods that evoke the Edison name and/or image; souvenirs, and ephemeral mementos.
V. Historic fabric – including original fabric removed from a historic structure during a preservation or repair project.
VI. Historic plant specimens - These include plant specimens collected and tested by Thomas A. Edison for domestic rubber research in the 1920's.
VII. The Archeology collection consists of architectural and industrial artifacts, hardware, fuel, fauna, and domestic and commercial glass recovered from the Laboratory Complex and Glenmont Estate excavation units.VIII. Rare Books - The Park's rare books collection consists of books owned by Thomas A. Edison for both work-related research and personal use.
Did You Know?
Thomas Edison National Historical Park has one of the most traveled buildings in the Park Service. Building #11 was shipped to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI in 1940 at the request of Henry Ford. No longer needed, it was shipped back to the park in 2003. - In all, it traveled 1200 miles.