Edgar Allan Poe
The Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site will be closed beginning March 1, 2013 through July 31, 2013 for restoration work.
The Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site is open Wednesday - Sunday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Our site is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Please note:Maximum number of 25 students per program during the months of January and February.
The six years that Edgar Allan Poe lived in Philadelphia are considered his most productive. He established his reputation as a literary critic, perfected his gothic tales, such as the "Fall of House of Usher," invented the modern detective story with "Murders in the Rue Morgue," pioneered science fiction stories, and wrote in his favorite literary genre-poetry.The Edgar Allan Poe National Historical Site offers two Ranger guided education programs.
1. Poe's Life, Literature, and Legacy Students explore interactive exhibits that reveal Poe's many literary interests and his influence on other writers and artists. Students view an 8-minute biography. Students join a park ranger on a visit through Poe's home focusing on his life, literary accomplishments and legacy.
Program length: 1 hour Program times: 10:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.Maximum group size: 50 students Cost:free
2. Poe in Philadelphia a curriculum-based program which includes the elements of "Poe's, Life, Literature, and Legacy" with a fun, interactive game based on "Jeopardy." Students work in teams to use the knowledge they have gained from their class work and visit to compete for educational prizes.
Recommended for middle school level students.Program length: 1 ½ hours Program times: 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Maximum group size 25 students Cost: free
Reservations must be requested at least two weeks in advance of date requested. Our site is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. To make a reservation please complete one of the forms below and email it to Joanne_Schillizzi@nps.gov.
Click here for program reservation form (WORD )
Click here for program reservation form (PDF)
Tips for filling out the Application Form:
1. Select a form in either WORD or PDF format and save it to your computer. (Please note MAC computer users: Only the PDF version functions on MAC Computers.)
2. Open the form and complete the requested information.
3. Save the completed form to your computer.
4. Attach the completed form to an email addressed to Joanne_Schillizzi@nps.gov.