Part of the experience of visiting an area such as the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is the opportunity to view various types of wildlife in their natural habitat. It is important, however, to remember that the park is their home, and humans are just visitors.
For their safety and yours, please follow these basic guidelines:
- Never approach the wildlife. Respect their space and keep a safe distance between you and the wildlife.
- Never feed the wildlife. By feeding animals they become dependent on human food, which can lead to dangerous situations between humans and animals.
- Report sick or injured wildlife to Park Dispatch at (570) 426-2457; don't try to help them on your own.
- Sick or injured animals may attack out of fear.
- Never remove any wildlife from the park.
- Remember to keep your pets on a 6 foot leash to protect both them and the local wildlife.