Cliff Park Area Trails
Cliff Park -- the inn, the golf course, and surrounding countryside -- became part of Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in 2003. The Buchanan Family owned the land from 1803 until 2002. In 1900, an old farmhouse was converted into an inn and the golf course (the inspiration of Annie Felt Buchanan) was opened in 1913. With alteration through the years, the course remained a favorite with golfers while spectators watched the "Front Five" sitting on the inn's porch. In 2011, the lease for Cliff Park Inn terminated and the lessees left; the park is exploring other ways to use the property.
Those who take the Trail from the Pond at Cliff Park to the Cliffs will follow in the footsteps of some famous people, as these rugged cliffs were used as stand-ins for Wild West and silent cowboy movies. The flamboyant Tom Mix made cowboy movies here, and silent film stars. Walter Miller and Mary Pickford once stood on these cliffs in making the film The Informer, released in 1912.
Typical trees in this habitat are pignut hickory and eastern red-cedar. In the open canopy lowbush blueberry and black huckleberry are found along with grasses such as wavy hairgrass, poverty oatgrass, and little bluestem. Wildflowers such as rock harlequin, wild columbine, and dwarf cinquefoil are also present. Wildflowers and grasses are vulnerable to foot traffic and slow to recover from trampling. Please keep to the designated trails and viewing areas.
NPS Photo by Alex Emert
Raymondskill Falls Trail | Directions
Cliff Trail | Directions
Hackers Trail | Directions
Milford Knob Trail | Directions
Quarry Path | Directions