Your Dollars At Work
Denali, like any national park, is funded by a mixture of Congressionally-designated money, campground fees, entrance fees, business partners (both private sector and non-profits) and private donations. Campground and entrance fees are of course paid by immediate park users, while much of the Congressionally-designated money comes from you - the American taxpayer.
Most of these projects put private-sector construction firms to work, though a few - like trail maintenance - are done by government employees.
Maintenance and construction projects are often the most-visible evidence of your dollars at work, and are often some of the biggest expenses for a park. Upcoming construction projects for 2013 are:
An explanation of FLREA
The Fiscal Year (FY) 1996 Interior Appropriation Bill established the Recreation Fee Demonstration Program, which allowed parks to keep monies collected through entrance and campground fees to expend toward specific types of projects.
This program was replaced with the Federal Lands Recreation Enhance Act (FLREA) in FY 2005. As with the Fee Demonstration Program, 80% of the money collected from Denali's visitors through entrance and campground fees is allocated directly to the park, and is used on pre-apprroved projects. The other 20% goes to the NPS Washington office, to be allocated to other parks through a competitive process. Both pots of money can only be allocated for projects that address one or more of the following criteria:
- must be a high priority
- improve the visitor experience
- reduce the deferred maintenance on visitor use assets
- maintain previous investments
- restore habitat directly related to wildlife dependent recreation
- provide law enforcement related to public use and recreation
Examples of FLREA-funded projects:
- construction of a new Teklanika River Rest Area
- study of the impacts of human waste on Mt. McKinley
- rehabilitate and address safety hazards on the Triple Lakes, Horseshoe Lake and other trails
- develop community based education programs with gateway communities
- create an education network through partnerships and long distance learning
- address park film accessibility issues
- protect Artist-in-Residence artwork
Did You Know?
Warmer average temperatures over several decades have resulted in expansion of woody vegetation. If this warming trend continues, it will change Alaska's ecosystems and drastically alter the physical appearance of Denali's landscape, as treeline marches higher up the mountains.