The Science of Sled Dogs
NPS Photo / Jacob W. Frank
The education staff at Denali can visit your classroom for free via the internet. Using Zoom or Skype videoconferencing connections, Denali becomes just a click away. Once connected, our staff will spend an hour teaching your class about Denali's amazing natural resources using interactive lessons and activities
Pre-conference activity takes about 1 hour, Zoom/Skype conference runs 50 - 60 minutes
- Denali Sled Dogs - Teacher Guide
- Denali Sled Dogs - Student Reading
- Denali Sled Dogs - Post-activity
- "Winter Patrol" - Short video clip
Many of our other videos and interactive features are worth sharing with your classroom. Check out our panoramic images to get a taste of what being in the park is like.
Meet Denali's Sled Dogs
NPS Web Rangers
Alaska Dog Mushers Association
- D is for Dog Team: Alaska Acrostics from A-Z, by Ken Waldman. 2009. Nomadic Press, Anchorage, AK. ISBN-10: 978-0-9816758-1-7.
- Dog Sled Wisdom, by Tricia Brown, illustrations by Tom Nixon. 2006. Epicenter Press, Kenmore, WA. ISBN: 0-9745014-5-X.
- Running with the Big Dogs: A Sled Dog Puppy Grows Up in Denali National Park, by Lori Yanuchi, illustrated by Wendy Brown. 1998. Ridge Rock Press, Healy, AK. ISBN: 0-9670177-0-X.
- Sled Dogs of Denali National Park, by Karen Fortier. 2002. Alaska natural History Association, Anchorage, AK. ISBN: 0-930931-37-8.
How to Participate
Registration begins on October 1st. Spaces are limited and registration is handled on a first-come, first-served basis. Register by downloading this form, filling it out, and emailing it to us using the address on the form (preferable) or sending it via fax or mail.
Our free, interactive presentations are available annually from early November through mid-March (with breaks around some major holidays).
- Biology: Animals, Climate, Ecology, Environment, Geography, Recreation / Leisure / Tourism, Transportation
- National/State Standards:
- National Science Education Standards/Framework
LS3.A Inheritance of Traits
LS3.B: Variation of Traits
- sled dogs, dogs, adaptations, sub-arctic, cold, fur, countercurrent circulation, circulatory system
- Distance Learning