Alternative Spring Break students work on improving trails in the park.
Volunteer Opportunities with Cuyahoga Valley Trails Council
About Cuyahoga Valley Trails Council
Cuyahoga Valley Trails Council (CVTC) is an all volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to improving the trails in Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP). With guidance from the National Park Service (NPS), CVTC coordinates monthly trail repair projects and leads projects on CVNP's Days of Service. CVTC is not a membership-based organization; all are welcome to participate in CVTC-led projects. To sign-up for the monthly newsletter, E-Trails, click here.
Trail repair projects are typically scheduled on the third Saturday of the month (March - December). Volunteers clear new trails, install drainage systems, build bridges and steps, and perform many other vital maintenance functions. Fully trained crew leaders direct each project. Great opportunity for fitness - these projects range from moderate to strenuous in physical activity.
Saturday, November 16: Perkins Trail
Please meet at 9:15 a.m. at the Everett Road Covered Bridge parking lot, located at 2370 Everett Road in Peninsula, 44264. This is a joint project with Medina Ohio Horseman's Council.
Saturday, December 14
Project to be determined.
Things to Know Before Volunteering on a CVTC Project
- Bring your completed Trail Worker Volunteer Agreement Form. Volunteers under age 14 need to have adult supervision; all volunteers under age 18 need to have their Agreement Form signed by their parent or guardian.
- Wear comfortable work clothes, long sleeves, and long pants. Sturdy shoes required (not open-toed).
- Bring a small pack with a filled water bottle, lunch, work gloves, and hat.
- Wear sunscreen and insect repellant.
- Tell an on-site CVTC crew leader how long you can volunteer that day. You can choose the length of your volunteer shift, as long as it is earlier than CVTC's end time of 3:30 p.m. All volunteers have to start at 9:30 a.m. for the project and safety orientation.
- Projects are held rain or shine, with exception to lightning and thunderstorms.
- Groups who are interested in volunteering with CVTC should call CVNP's volunteer office at 330-657-2296 as far in advance as possible.
- Please sign up to receive CVTC's newsletter E-Trails, and to be notified about updates to CVTC projects. Click here to sign up.
- Stanford Trail Bridge: In 2008, CVTC purchased and installed the $15,000 fiberglass bridge on the Stanford Trail. Click here for photos.
- Brandywine Gorge Trail Bridge: In October 2009, CVTC helped assemble and install the Brandywine Gorge Trail Bridge, a 3-section, 165-foot long, fiberglass bridge spanning Brandywine Creek. Read more.
- Blue Hen Falls Trail Bridge: In June 2012, CVTC helped disassemble the old bridge and build the new Blue Hen Falls Bridge, a 70-foot long fiberglass truss bridge. Click here for photos.
The CVTC produces the popular Trail Guide Handbook: Cuyahoga Valley National Park, a comprehensive guide to all the trails in CVNP and The Nature of the Towpath, a natural history guide to the Towpath Trail. CVTC publications are available at CVNP visitor centers and at numerous outfitters, bookstores, and specialty shops in Northeast Ohio. Proceeds from the books support CVTC activities.