Canal Visitor Center Closure
Canal Visitor Center will be closed for construction, starting Monday, May 6, 2013. It will reopen with new exhibits in early 2014.
Riverview Road Closure
Riverview Rd from the Cuyahoga Falls line north to the Peninsula line will be re-paved, beginning the week of April 22. Expect delays. Flaggers will direct traffic. Work is expected to be completed by Memorial Day weekend.
Towpath Trail Closure
NPS has closed the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail from Hillside Road to Stone Road in Valley View. A section of the trail is not passable due to hazardous conditions caused by erosion. Towpath is expected to be open by Memorial Day, May 27.
Bald Eagle Closure in Effect
RR tracks, and 30 foot right of way on either side, are closed to all foot traffic from the Rt. 82 Bridge at Station Rd, north to the RR tracks at. The Cuyahoga R. downstream of the Brecksville Dam to the Fitzwater Rd Bridge is closed to water activities.
Remembering the Flood of 1913 at Cuyahoga Valley Lecture
Contact: Mary Pat Doorley, CVNP, (440) 546-5995, (440) 343-7355 (cell)
Contact: Jared Slanina, Conservancy for CVNP, (330) 657-2909 ext. 136
Brecksville, Ohio - Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) and the Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park are pleased to welcome author and researcher Trudy E. Bell to Happy Days Lodge. Bell's appearance is part of this season's Lyceum Lecture Series and will take place on Friday, March 22, 2013 at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. General seating. Admission is $6 adults and $3 children ages 3 - 12. Please note the special start time due to companion Dinner in the Valley program before the lecture. Dinner in the Valley is by reservation only and must be arranged by March 18.
Advanced sales for both evening events are available by calling 330-657-2909. On lecture days, call the Cultural Arts Hotline at 330-650-4636 ext. 228 after 2 p.m. for up-to-date ticket availability and severe weather cancellations.
On March 26, 1913, the Akron Beacon Journal headline screamed: "Worst Flood in Ohio History with Dayton Center of Horror." Between March 23 and 27, the equivalent of two to three months' worth of rain fell across the Ohio Valley. Every river and stream in the state flooded. The resulting destruction was devastating. Bridges, roads, railways, dams, and property were washed away. An estimated 500 people drowned, a quarter of a million were left homeless, and damages were estimated in the hundreds of millions. It was the most widespread natural disaster that the United States had witnessed, engulfing parts of 15 states.
Trudy E. Bell, M.A., senior writer for the University of California High-Performance AstroComputing Center, is a former editor for Scientific American and IEEE Spectrum. Since 2003, she has been researching the 1913 flood and its physical, political, and cultural consequences around the entire eastern U.S. She has presented research papers about aspects of the 1913 disaster at historical conferences in five other states, and published half a dozen articles and one picture book. Bell's presentation includes rarely seen images. Promotional support provided by the Summit County Historical Society.
Happy Days Lodge, located at 500 West Streetsboro Road (State Route 303) in Peninsula 44264, 1 mile west of State Route 8, is a restored Civilian Conservation Corps structure that provides a rustic ambiance for folk and traditional concerts, theater, lectures, and special event rentals. For more information on rentals, call the Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park at 330-657-2909 ext. 119.
CVNP encompasses 33,000 acres along the Cuyahoga River between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. Managed by the National Park Service, CVNP combines cultural, historical, recreational, and natural activities in one setting. For more information visit www.nps.gov/cuva or call 330-657-2752.
The Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park is a nonprofit organization created to engage public support for the park and provide services to enhance public use and enjoyment of the park. For more information about the Conservancy and its membership program, visit www.conservancyforcvnp.org or call 330-657-2909.
Did You Know?
Lock 27 along the Ohio & Erie Canal became known as Johnnycake Lock after several boats ran aground due to flooding. While stranded, supplies ran low and canal passengers and crew ate only corn meal pancakes, known as "johnnycakes".