Valley Bridle Trail Partial Closure
A section of the Valley Bridle Trail is closed across from the Brandywine Golf Course. There is no estimate of when this section will be open. Please observe all trail closures. More »
Plateau Trail Partial Closure
The outer loop of the Plateau Trail is closed at the Valley Picnic Area junction for bridge repair. The bridge is now unsafe for pedestrian traffice due to accelerated erosion around the base. More »
Bald Eagle Closure in Effect Until July 31, 2014
Returning bald eagles are actively tending to last year's nest within the Pinery Narrows area in CVNP. To protect the eagles from human disturbance, the area surrounding the nest tree will be closed until July 31, 2014. More »
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) Bridge Construction Closures
Rockside and Canal Visitor Center boarding sites will be closed through Apr 27. From Jan 18 - Mar 16, CVSR will operate between Akron Northside and Brecksville stations. From Mar 22 - Apr, CVSR will operate between Akron Northside and Peninsula. More »
Do Not Feed the Waterfowl and Birds!
Many people enjoy feeding waterfowl and birds, but the effects of this seemingly generous act can be harmful. Regular feeding can cause: unatural behavior, pollution, overcrowding, delayed migration, and poor nutrition and disease.
Closure on Fishing Will Remain in Effect for Virginia Kendall Lake
Due to the government shutdown, we were unable to survey the fish community in VK Lake as scheduled. Our survey partners (ODNR) will not be able to get into the lake until early spring of 2014. Therefore, the closure on fishing will remain in effect. More »
Krejci Plan Modifications
Krejci Dump Remedial Action Work Plan Modifications to Address Village of Boston Heights Issues (Revised October 12, 2005)
The following is an addition to the protocols in the Remedial Action Work Plan made to further satisfy concerns raised during the public meeting held on September 21, 2005 at the Village of Boston Heights.
• EQIS will provide a flagman at the intersection of Hines Hill Road and old Route 8 during morning rush hour when Site-related truck activity is scheduled.
• EQIS will transport soil loads off the Site after all school bus traffic is clear.
(Trucks will leave the Site onto Hines Hill Road no earlier than 8:15 AM.)
Hazardous Materials Spill Response Issue
• As a secondary hazardous incident response measure, EQIS will have on standby a mobile foam unit in the event of odor releases, hazardous material fire, or spills on-site once the soil excavation activities commence.
Public Awareness Issue
• EQIS will offer a monthly open house for all local residents. The open house will entail meeting with the Site project managers from EQIS and DOI to discuss Site cleanup progress and any local concerns. The monthly open house will be coordinated with the Park.
Sampling of Hines Hill Road
EQIS will perform sampling events as follows:
• Sampling will be performed prior to the commencement of soil shipments, approximately halfway through the soil shipment process for the West Site, approximately halfway through the soil shipment process for the East Site, at the conclusion of the soil shipments from the West Site, and at the conclusion of the soil shipments from the East Site.
• Sampling will be performed in the vicinity of the Hike-Bike Trail, just off the south side of Hines Hill Road.
• Each sample will be analyzed for PCBs and eight (8) heavy metals (total analysis and TCLP).
Did You Know?
Early September is the time to watch monarchs feed in Cuyahoga Valley fields rich with goldenrod and New England aster. These places serve as important re-fueling sites for these long distance travelers on their way to oyamel forests near Mexico City more than 2,000 miles away.