• Kendall Hills in summer bloom by Jeffrey Gibson

    Cuyahoga Valley

    National Park Ohio

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Temporary Bridge Installed at Brandywine Creek

    A temporary bridge has been installed over Brandywine Creek and visitors will be able to complete the Brandywine Gorge Trail, during good weather. The bridge may be flooded and impassable during heavy rains. Caution signs are in place. More »

  • Towpath Trail Closures

    Towpath Trail is closed from Mustill Store to Memorial Parkway for riverbank reinforcement. Detours posted. Closure will last 1 - 4 weeks into August. More »

  • Other Closures

    Valley Bridle Trail south of SR 303, across from golf course, is collapsed by river. Hard closure. Plateau Trail Bridge, north of Valley Picnic Area is closed. No detours. Plateau & Oak Hill trails are open. More »

  • Road Closures

    Quick Rd is closed from Akron Peninsula Rd to Pine Hollow Trailhead in Peninsula, from Wednesday, 7/16, for 6 weeks. Detours posted. Hines Hill Rd is closed from Tuesday, 7/29 through Tuesday, 8/12 for resurfacing from I271 to the Boston Township Line. More »

  • Riverview Road Repaving and Closure

    Riverview Rd is being repaved from the Cuyahoga-Summit Cty line to Peninsula through Mon, 9/15.Road is open with single lane closures. Riverview Rd is closed from Boston Mills Rd to the Cuyahoga Cty line starting Mon, 7/14 for for 3 weeks. Detours posted. More »

Local Businesses in Everett

Everett Road.
Everett contained a few small businesses to support its rural residents.
Courtesy/Peninsula Library & Historical Society
 

Local residents did not have to go far to meet their basic needs. Known as a "crossroads settlement," Everett's historic district is located around the intersection of Riverview and Everett roads. During the 1920s, Everett contained a post office, general store, school, church, cemetery, railroad station, and gasoline station. The gasoline station, located at Carter's General Store, may have been the first in the area. It was perhaps a harbinger of Everett's demise as cars and improved roads brought changes to rural life.

 
Carter's General Store, Everett.

Carter General Store, Everett.

Courtesy/Peninsula Libary and Historical Society

Valley Railway
In 1880, the Valley Railway established a depot near the crossroads and gave the community the name Everett, after the company's secretary-treasurer. With the establishment of rail transportation came Everett's first post office. The train provided the chief link with the outside world by bringing in mail and shipping out farm produce.

Carter's General Store
During the 1920s and 30s, Maude Carter owned Carter's General Store on Everett Road, selling mostly canned and boxed goods and gasoline. The store also had some meats and fresh produce. Bruce and Bertie Hamilton owned the business from 1944 to 1967, proving postal service from 1948 until 1953 (when service moved to Peninsula).

 
Listen to audio clips

In Their Own Words
Click the topics to hear stories about Cuyahoga Valley life.
Click here to read the text file.

Penny Candy (36 seconds)
Mudboats (29 seconds)
Marjorie Osborne Morgan, who grew up in Everett, remembers buying penny candy from the Carter's General Store during the 1930s. She also describes how her family used mudboats, a type of skid, to transport goods to and from Everett's stores.


 
Kepner's Store

Kepner's Store, Everett.

Courtesy/Peninsula Libary & Historical Society

Kepner's Store
Miss Frank Ivel Kepner built her general store on the intersection's northwest corner sometime after 1920. She served as the community's postmistress from 1917 to 1948. The building is no longer standing, destroyed by fire in 1969.

Sager Gas Station and Confectionary
During the 1930s, the Sager Family ran a gas station and confectionary store on the intersection's southwest corner. As more people used automobiles, Everett became somewhat less isolated. In 1935, the railway depot was dismantled and the road leading to Akron was hard-surfaced, making driving easier.

 
Jim Szalay

Jim Szalay, 1931.

Courtesy/Peninsula Library and Historical Society

Szalay Farm Stand
Since 1931, the Szalay family has sold sweet corn to local residents and visitors at their farm stand on Riverview Road at Bolanz Road. "Big Jim" Szalay purchased 67 acres in Everett, taking advantage of the damp valley soil and of potential customers commuting between Akron and Cleveland. Today, Szalay's Sweet Corn Farm is a local attraction and its roadside market has expanded to sell diverse products.

Did You Know?

Monarch Butterfly - US Fish and Wildlife Service Photo

Early September is the time to watch monarchs feed in Cuyahoga Valley fields rich with goldenrod and New England aster. These places serve as important re-fueling sites for these long distance travelers on their way to oyamel forests near Mexico City more than 2,000 miles away.