No Cave Tours or Hensley Tours on September 27
There will be no Gap Cave or Hensley Settlement tours offered on September 27, 2014 due to special Heritage Walk program. For more information please call the park visitor center at (606) 248-2817, extension 1075.
Sugar Run Trail Closed to Horses
The Sugar Run Trail is temporarily closed to horse use due to the number of fallen trees as a result of recent storms. The trail is still open for hikers, but hikers should use caution.
Back the Bears!
Support the park's "Back the Bears" campaign and help keep our bears wild and safe! More »
Cave Tour Alert!
White Nose Syndrome is a disease that is killing bats in great numbers and has been found in park caves. While visiting Gap Cave please do not wear or bring anything that has been in other caves. Skylight Cave is currently closed.
The archives of Cumberland Gap National Historical Park cover hundreds of linear feet of documents pertaining to all aspects of the park and its history. Here's a brief synopsis of each collection. To schedule an appointment to view the archives, please contact the park archivist.
The Resource Management Collection contains records created during the pre-park planning for a national park that preserves and interprets the historic migration corridor of the Cumberland Gap, and park management of the resources protected within and region affecting the Cumberland Gap NHP.
The Hensley Settlement Collection contains records created during the pre-park planning for acquiring the Hensley Settlement lands to be made part of the national park, family records and research, records created during park administration of Hensley Settlement, and historical research on the Settlement.
The Kincaid Collection includes the correspondence, manuscripts, newspaper articles, photographs, brochures, and hand-written notes of Robert Kincaid, author of the classic history The Wilderness Road.
The Tunnel Collection documents the entire administrative history of the construction of the Cumberland Gap Tunnel from the early planning stages in the late 1950s through the completion of the tunnel in 1996 and continues through the rehabilitation of the Gap after the tunnel opened to vehicular traffic.
Earl Palmer Appalachian Photograph Collection
William A. Barnhill Collection: Historical Photographs of Pioneer Life in Western N. C. 1914-1917
Although the historic photo collection of the park is currently under the process of being digitized, hundreds are currently available to be seen.
For more information about historical photo collections at Cumberland Gap National Historical Park please contact the park archivist.
Did You Know?
Designated sites at the park’s Wilderness Road Campground are fully accessible. These sites feature hardened surfaces, increased fire grate height and wheelchair-friendly picnic tables. Many of the park's other facilities are fully accessible as well! More...